Sign In Forgot Password

Temple Beth Abraham History

Organized Jewish life in Nashua had its beginning as far back as 1895, when 15 families got together in an effort to "keep a Jewish way of life alive". These people moved from Boston to Nashua, a busy mill town on the Merrimack River, to build a new life. They established the Agudas Achim Lodge which was the beginning of Temple Beth Abraham as we know it today.

By the turn of the century, the population of Nashua had grown to a point where a building was needed in which the Congregation could hold its services, meetings, and activities, as well as a place which would serve as the focal point of their Jewish religion. A building was purchased at the corner of Cross and Lock Streets and, thus, the Beth Abraham Congregation was founded with twenty-five members.

A major turning point in the history of Beth Abraham Congregation took place when it was necessary to enlarge the synagogue building, because of expanding religious, social, and organizational activities. After the remodeling was completed, the seats were rearranged so that men and women would sit together. For the sake of community harmony, this was accepted, and religious issues were not allowed to divide the Congregation.

The transition from first to second generation brought the Congregation from the Orthodox to the Conservative movement. In 1947, Rabbi Hershel Matt, a graduate of the Jewish Theological Seminary of America, was chosen as Rabbi, and with his guidance, the Congregation joined the Conservative United Synagogue of America.

In 1950, Rabbi Bela Fischer z''l became our spiritual leader, an association which lasted for over 31 years. In addition to improving the Religious School, and starting a Couples' Club, Rabbi Fischer z''l was instrumental in furthering the cause of Judaism in the Nashua area.

As the Congregation grew, it became evident that a Community Center was needed in which to hold social and educational gatherings. Realizing this, Philip Porter felt that a Temple Center Building was necessary to satisfy the present, as well as the future, needs of the community. In 1956 the community enthusiastically pledged time and money to build our present home, which was completed in 1960.

The 1960's and 1970's brought remarkable growth to the Congregation which mirrored the phenomenal growth of the Nashua area. In 1964, Rabbi Fischer z''l was given a life-time contract as a show of appreciation for his efforts. In 1975, a woman became a Bat Mitzvah on Saturday morning and was called to the Torah as Maftirah. The tradition of Bat Mitzvot continued as women became an important part of the service: being counted in the Minyan, being honored with Aliyot, and sometimes conducting the entire service.

Today we have almost 260 family members, which reflects the growth of the entire Nashua area.

Reflecting the overall growth in our Temple membership, in the late 1980's, we completed construction of our Religious School and Youth Center. This project came about after years of planning and fund raising throughout the entire Jewish Community. It was made possible by the generosity of the Philip Porter Family who donated the land located across the street from the present Synagogue.

The multi-purpose design of the building houses five classrooms, a youth lounge, school offices and a library. In addition, with moveable walls, functions holding up to 150 people can easily be accommodated within the building.

Today we enjoy a newly renovated and enlarged house of prayer. Come pray and visit with us.

Timeline of Temple Beth Abraham

Late 1800's - Jewish families begin arriving in Nashua

1892 - First Minyan is held at the home of Aaron Borofsky

1895 - Fifteen families establish the Agudas Achim Lodge

1895 - Land is purchased for the Cemetery

1899 - Agudas Achim Lodge becomes the Temple Beth Abraham Society

1900 - First synagogue at corner of Lock and Cross Streets in Nashua

1901 - Twenty-five men sign the Beth Abraham Charter

1927 - Synagogue is remodeled

1947 - Temple Beth Abraham joins United Synagogue of America

1953 - Building is purchased at 11 Beacon Street for Jewish Community Center

1959 - Land is donated at 4 Raymond Street (our current home) for building of new synagogue

1960 - Dedication of Temple Beth Abraham

1975 - Temple Beth Abraham becomes egalitarian

1986 - New religious school building is dedicated on June sixth

2001 - Current building is remodeled to what you see today

Wed, July 17 2019 14 Tammuz 5779